Why We Care About Earth Day

We've got Gaylord Nelson (and hundreds like Rachel Carson and Aldo Leopold setting the stage way before 1970) to thank for getting together 40 years ago people in Washington, DC., to celebrate some of the achievements like clean water and air acts, wilderness designation, a stronger Environmental Protection Agency. Earth Day is a global day, and for us in the USA, we see this as the 40th Anniversary. The United Nations calls 2010 the 41st Earth Day. For youth, they are the Green Generation --way beyond labeling them the echo-, X-ers, Y-, Millennial-, Net- or i- generations. Green. As in reducing consumption, learning how to function with renewable energy, and reusing, recycling and relearning.

SPOKANE -- April 17, 11 AM to midnight -- On Main

Between Division and Browne -- In the Streets, On the Sidewalks


Monday, February 15, 2010

Earth Day Spokane 2010 is up and running


Earth Day Spokane 2010 is all about celebration, action, caring, and pushing forward the bigger ideas of how to deal with climate instability, warming, Sixth Mass Extinction, Community Survival, and Neighborhood Development.

We'll look at the bigger picture for Spokane, but also, well look at how to make the APRIL 17 Saturday Earth Day Spokane, Taking it to the Streets, impossibly cool for this River City USA.

We'll have performers, activities, organizations, and every sort of thing linked to Earth Day 2010 and other events connected to our community tied to celebrating and protecting the earth.

We'll have all sponsors and all participants who have web sites or blogs linked here. So, stay tuned.

Peace, Pablosharkman

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I am a student in Paul Haeder's English class and was introduced to the film Red Gold. The film is about an Alaskan struggle between the people, who fish the salmon along the rivers that feed into the Bristol Bay and the Northern Dynasty Mining Company, who want to mine for gold and copper. The film prompted me to write this short poem.

My Mother Said by Joe Mast

Every year,
Same time same place.
The journey is the same,
Yet the faces change.

I swim the river,
To my place of birth.
I return to spawn,
For a new generation.

My mother said,
Watch for the bears and eagles,
And my mother said,
Watch for the man with the net.

But I died.
And never made it,
To my place of birth,
So I could spawn.

I listened to my mother,
And didn’t get caught.
No bear, no eagle, no net,
Could ever get me.

But my mother never said,
Watch for the waste,
Watch for the pollution,
Watch for the dam- Damn!

D.H.aiku said...

Spawn of the Return
A Haiku Poem

Keen spirits, we glide
To our birthplace to bring forth
New life for the One.